- Lazy – I’m gonna be totally honest; sometimes I feel like going to the gym, sometimes I don’t. We’ve all been there and will probably be there sometime this week. I’m the cardio queen so if the treadmill/elliptical/bike doesn’t even move me, you know I’m not about to pick up dumbbells.
- Painful – Any time I’ve tried to do weights, the next day I’m hella sore. While I’m lifting, I hate the feeling of being exhausted. They say you should push yourself past your discomfort but I never get there. Guess I give up too easy. :(
- No Fun – Lifting just ain’t fun! I love cardio because there’s movement. I like to move and I have a great playlist where I can move to the beat and really get motivated. What kind of dancing can you do to deadlifting? Can I be “Flawless” while doing military presses? Nah, it just doesn’t make sense.
- Intimidation- The worst thing about going over to the lifting section is seeing all the folks over there and their muscles looking good. Here I am, squatting with my bar, no weights. It’s an overwhelming feeling walking over there not knowing where to begin.
- I Don’t Get It – If I had a $1 for every time I heard, “Lifting makes you lose more weight, because muscle eats fat blah, blah, blah.” I. DON’T. GET. IT. I’ve been doing this weight loss thing for a while now but it just doesn’t seem logical that lifting a heavy ass weight will get me skinny.
So, tell me…what are your reasons/excuses for not lifting.
A few weeks ago, I was looking for a fit friend and I realize I may have been going about it the wrong way. I put up my criteria on Facebook and I believe that many did not take too kindly because in a way, I was fat shaming. I don’t want to be THAT person. I’ll usereligion as an example. You know those people that go around and knock on your door with those creepy pamphlets asking you to make Christ/Jehovah your Lord and Savior? I would love nothing more than to reach my goals and make everyone in the world see the light. But I know I don’t want to be THAT fitness freak trying to convert everyone around them.
Like those door-to-door religious folk, if people are not ready, they’re just going to slam the door. I put myself out here not to show you how far I’ve come, look at me!…no wait, I lie. I do want you to look at me but I want my friends who aren’t fit to be OK with asking me for help. I don’t want to appear like I’m a fit-litist either, someone who looks down on people who aren’t taking care of their bodies and giving their bodies proper nutrition. I want to educate and welcome you…show you that it’s not so hard.
Guess what? I have a friend who broke down and came to me! I’m happy and I’m going to take her along with me. Congrats KK! We’re in this together and by teaching you, I will continue to learn and grow!
I ran a 5K at 5:00 a.m. this morning! What the hell was I thinking? My legs are shot, back is aching and my feet good GAWD! Mama said there would be days like this. I was told to keep at it and over time it will improve. My issue is consistency or the lack thereof. I just can’t seem to stay with anything for long enough to see progress. This probably explains why I’m still 220 lbs a year later. I’m not going to say I’ll be a run master but I will make an effort to actually improve. Watch out for me in the morning!